Monday, April 25, 2005

Anzac Day Reflection

I believe that ANZAC Day - 25 April - is probably Australia's most important national occasion. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. Over 8,000 Australian soldiers were killed. News of the landing at Gallipoli made a profound impact on Australians at home and 25 April quickly. The soldiers in those forces quickly became known as ANZACs, and the pride they soon took in that name endures to this day.

Today is ANZAC Day - in fact 90 years after the orginal ANZAC Day. It is a day when Australians reflect on the many different meanings of war. I must confess that I haven't taken this day seriously during the 17 years of living in Australia. I have always thought of the day as a public holiday. But today I was deeply moved as I watched the news that showed the ANZAC Cove in Gallepoli in Turkey. War is terrible, we all know that, but this should not stop us from remembering those who made the sacrifice. Today as I thought of the sacrifice of the Aussie soldiers, I was also reminded once again of the ONE who made the ultimate sacrifice who died for the sins of the world - my Lord Jesus Christ. I am eternally thankful for what He has done!



.

No comments: