Saturday, May 21, 2005

A Beautiful Soul

Bernadette Conlon is one of Australia's leading accordionists. I have been enjoying her music, observing her and even wanting to be her friend for a long time as I walk past her when she plays publically on the corner of Southgate and Southbank, which is only a few minutes from where I live.

I read that her dazzling technique and heart-felt renditions have earned her over 100 first-place awards in competitions. She is a four-time South Pacific Champion, 7-time Australian National Champion, and she maintains an illustrious concert schedule. Bernadette has an amazing repertoire, which ranges from classical, to jazz, pop and various folk and ethnic music; and she is never afraid to try something new. Astounding her professors in Russia with her amazing technique, she built on her already mature and sensitive musical style, resulting in a unique mastery of the instrument with a western approach, upon which she added her unique Russian teachings. Bernadette is famed for her own intricate orchestral arrangements, some of which appear on the six CD's she has released. Some of these arrangements have never been considered on accordion before.

Two weeks ago, while she was playing, on my way home, I gathered courage to approach her and spoke to her. She gave me her details, and tonight I went to see her again hoping to set up a time for coffee. I just feel that I really want to get to know her. Praise God that we are going to meet up soon.

2 comments:

Kel said...

Good on you for making the first move Kitty.

I've heard Bernadette play many times along Southgate promenade.

She's a bit of a Melbourne institution - like that old guy that plays the violin - is he still around?

Kitty Cheng said...

Thanks for your encouragement Kel.

I sometimes see an old guy that keeps her company when Bernadette playw, but not sure if that's the one who plays the violin.

So what do you mean when you say she's a bit of a Melb institution?