Thursday, July 14, 2005

Why Go To Church?

A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons.But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column,much to the delight of the editor.It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this: They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!" When you are DOWN to nothing.... God is UP to something! Faith sees the invisible,believes the incredible and receives the impossible! Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!

--Author Unknown

7 comments:

Sivin Kit said...

thanks ... I took in more from the pastosrs point of view (or the wife cooking!)

Christop said...

But it's pretty sad if not one of the sermons was memorable.

Kitty Cheng said...

it's certainly an indication of the spiritual condition of the 'church goer'than the pastor!

Duncan said...

One minister I know stopped half way through his sermon, saying "I can't remember what I wrote here". Someone in the congregation said, "If you can't remember what you wrote, how do you expect us to remember what you say?"

As I read the Scriptures I'm certainly informed and influenced by the many sermons I've heard over time. But ask me to recount a sermon at will, there's not a lot to talk about.

Christop said...

'it's certainly an indication of the spiritual condition of the 'church goer'than the pastor!'

Why is that?
I don't think its possible for this to say something about the audience but nothing about the preacher.

Kitty Cheng said...

i agree that this certainly says something about the peacher, but i believe if someone doesn't even remember any of the sermons, i wonder how much the person values the Word of God.

Kitty Cheng said...

but then again, I must say that there are surely many other ways that one can be nurtured spiritually and fed by the scripture apart from listening to sermons only!