Friday, August 19, 2005

What To Write About in Blogs

I've been really enjoying reading Darren's 31 Days to Building a Better Blog. So I thought I would write something about it too.

Thanks to Darren's encouragement, I started blogging about 6 months ago. Man! I am truly addicted now, and blogging has certainly become part of my life, and I LOVE IT! I've found that the more I write, the more contents I want to write about. Does that make sense? Well so far I write an average of one post a day. I constantly ask myself this question, "what am I going to write about in my blog?" As one of my poet friends taught me, just let your mind wander and let words come out as you start writing / typing, and you will find new ideas come out without even having to try very hard. Well you can write a blog to express yourself, to share links and photos, to share your opinions, to tell stories, to teach people something, to advertise products etc. In fact, one can create and write a blog for any reason they want. There are as many things to write about as there are blogs out there.

This is true! I've started to realise that writing opportunities are everywhere: in our daily lives, in work setting, in our own culture, in other cultures, in reading, in movies, in social environments, in the media, in conversations, in art exhibitions, in faith community and church, even in gossips. I reckon blogs are personal. Although I must admit that I almost subconsciously write to please a handful of people, building an online connection is really enjoyable, and if you're professional enough, you can earn a few bucks as well (or even six figure like Darren).

So write away, and have fun in the process! :-)

11 comments:

Sivin Kit said...

I can relate to all this .. BTW, I probably need some coaching from Darren how to earn those few bucks :-)

Kitty Cheng said...

yes me too! We can all certainly learn heaps from D

Kitty Cheng said...

Haha John, I thought many people pin up D's photos on the wall too :-)

Thanks for your encouragement, but are you referring to Melbourne as the Bleak City? **puzzled**

Kitty Cheng said...

Interesting! So what were you doing when you lived in WA for two years, and how did you find Australia?

I just came back from London just over a month ago for work. Are you close to London?

Kel said...

Dear Kitty
The temptation is always there in blogging to write to please others, but I hope you continue to write from your own heart.
What is important and real and "the essence of Kitty" is infinitely more valuable than what other people might want or expect to read.
with love
Kel

Kitty Cheng said...

Many thanks for the reminder. I appreciate it, and agree that everything I write have to be from my own heart! That's why I enjoy reading your blog so much Kel!

Kitty Cheng said...

Thanks for you reminder Kel. I really appreciate it, and agree with you that writing from the heart is extremely important. That's why I enjoy reading your blog so much :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Kitty, as I told you the other night, hadn't had a chance to look at Darren's 31 day blog of advices. Have dipped in to-day - and from 10 minutes reading have plenty to go away and chew over. Big thing to chew over is what - after two months of blogging and trying out three different free sites - I know in my heart of hearts to be true in a a foundational way: get away from templates, get my own design, get my own domain name. Two issues here: limited income from which to pay someone who can give me some decent blog design; and payment for domain name & hosting. So I guess I'll do what I always do with these sort of things - plant it in the garden of the mind to let it germinate; pray about it and wait. This way solutions do present themselves. Patience certainly is in order. I have been blogging for all of two months! This means that the way is up, up up. Lots to learn. Thank you for dropping by The Eagle's Nest. Have you also dropped by The Trad Pad. One of my frustrations with Blogger is it doesn't seem to like to take too much in the way of photographs. Blogsome which uses wordpress doesn't seem to mind so much but one has to be careful to arrange them, in my experience, and get some uniformity of size or things look crazy. Again though, some inflexibility (remember I don't have sufficient skills to do an awful lot of tweaking) of how photos are arranged with text. I'll get there but I fell it is going to be a long and slow learning curve.

Erin said...

Well, I see another outcome for you in blogging... you leave encouragement behind you wherever you go!

I'm a fellow addict :) Rather pleased by that too, as blogging has provided the lense for me to lead a more "examined life".

Blessings to you-

Kitty Cheng said...

I can totally identify with you Brigid. Still have lots to learn about blogging and pictures etc. It's certainly a learning curve and one that I really enjoy.

Kitty Cheng said...

Blessings to you too Erin. ANd I certainly enjoy leaving encouragement wherever I go!