Monday, September 26, 2005

Chasing the Dragon

I was supposed to have dinner with Kel , but since I had a bad fall when tripping over the wire of the digital projector (and as a result had a bruise and swollen lip, hence needing more rest), so I stayed home instead tonight. I spent the whole night reading Chasing the Dragon and the story of Jackie Pullinger (thanks to Kel's kindness of leading me the book once again).

Jackie Pullinger went to Hong Kong (against all odds) as a missionary. For many years, she served the drug addicts, sex workers and triad gang members of the Walled City. I was very inspired by her commitment, servanthood and faithfulness to serve God and the fringe people. Jackie also talks about how people who go on short-term mission trips would go into the Walled city, and be disappointed because it is not what they expected. This really got me thinking, many people go on the mission fields thinking that they would do ''GREAT THINGS" and become "GREAT HEROS" who are admired by many, yet found that they need to be servants, not powerful leaders. This is a great reminder for me to minister as God's servant.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kitty!

You've been tagged. :)

Please check my blog for details...

Kel said...

Glad you're enjoying the book. Hope you have slathered arnica cream on the bruising and are mending well.

Kitty Cheng said...

thanks John for tagging me.

Kitty Cheng said...

I am getting better now Kel. Thanks!