Friday, September 09, 2005

Contentment 2

Yesterday I asked the question, "if everything were taken away from you, what would remain? Are you still content?" Honestly I don't know the answer to that myself.

I was feeling a bit 'down in the dumps' this morning, and was going through some emotional turmoil today. The thing about pain in life is that it seems inevitable. But the mix feelings, the dilemmas, the mistakes, the sorrow, the confusion, the hurts, the failures, the disappointments which leave us upset, in agony, in helplessness can all be used by God to mould us, to strengthen us and to guide us. Yes I can testify that, I have experienced that numerous times in my life. I do trust God can turn the most painful things in life into some of the most beautiful experiences! Romans 8:28 has always been one of my my favourite verses. However, it has also been my experience that when the heart is shouting in pain, it's not easy to be content. Arggggg!!!

I was reading "Insight's Bible Companion For Women" tonight for the last two hours, and these words of wisdom really challanged me. "Contentment doesn't mean complacency. It doesn't mean you've given up hope that God will grant your wildest dreams. It just means you've decided to live by faith."

Lord, I've decided to live by faith no matter what. I trust that You are good all the time and You are always faithful. Give me the strength to release all my needs to You and be content I pray. In Jesus' Precious Name, Amen!

4 comments:

Yadah said...

Faith really is that unknown thing isn't it? It seems like your description is a picture of the Heb 12:1 verse.

Living life exhibiting that hope of God working in your life does demonstrates that inner phenomenon we know as faith.

Good to check in on your blog!

Kitty Cheng said...

yes it is 'the unknown thing' that we know as faith.

thanks for stopping by my blog Yadah!

Tab said...

Thats challenging Kitty.

I find reading thru the book of Acts that for Paul to say "I have learned the secret in being content in all circumstances, because I CAN do all things through Christ who gives me strength"Tab Version is a supernatural thing! It's faith acted out that allows Paul to say that - its not a natural response. Not natural to this world anyway.

The secret I think is what he talks about in his letter to the Philippians - that everything in this life is utterly worthless(and thats putting it nicely) compared to the overwhelming value of knowing Christ, and that in itself is where our contentment comes from. I like the stuff he writes there, b/c it encourages me to go for knowing Christ intensely, replacing my life with his in me.

These words sound grand. My life doesn't look like that yet. I'm not joyfull and content in all circumstances. I've still got a long way to grow.

Kitty Cheng said...

Tab, we all have a long way to go and grow don't we? Yeah knowing Christ intensely and fellowship with Him are two important goals in my life.