Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Creative Process

According to an 'unknown author' quoted by Susan from A Booklook, "The creative process is ... terrifying because you don't know exactly what's going to happen or where it is going to lead. You don't know what new dangers and challenges you'll find. It takes an enormous amount of internal security to begin with the spirit of adventure, the spirit of discovery, the spirit of creativity. Without doubt, you have to leave the comfort zone of base camp and confront an entirely new and unknown wilderness. You become a trailblazer, a pathfinder. You open new possibilities, new territories, new continents so that others can follow ... Most all creative endeavors are somewhat unpredictable. They often seem ambiguous, hit-or-miss, trail and error. And unless people have a high tolerance for ambiguity and get their security from integrity to principles and inner values they find it unnerving and unpleasant to be involved in highly creative enterprises. Their need for structure, certainty and predictability is too high."

Wow I can identify with this. Truly the creative process is a fulfilling one. I always believe that since we are made in the image of the Creator God, we are all creative one way or another. Yet I do agree that the creative endeavours are somewhat unpredictable. And I have found that the more I am involved in creative endeavours (mainly drama, writing, multi-media and music), the more I've become less structured. I don't know if I have an enormous amount of internal security, but I found that the spirit of taking risks is essential for creativity. I pray that I can have more of that from my Creator!

So how do you think about the creative process?

No comments: