Saturday, October 22, 2005

International Arts Fest - InfraCinema

After drama rehearsal with Kanae on Friday night, we headed to the Arts House in North Melbourne Town Hall to see Melbourne sound artist Bruce Mowson's InfraCinema. InfraCinema is an experimental sound and video installation-performance. It combines the immersion of cinema with the closeness of visual art (static tones with various visual images throughout the show). Infracinema generates an unchanging mass of sound with repeating rhythm, and explores the experience below conscious thinking, and digs into our desire to watch and listen in the dark (which to be honest made me feel a little sleepy).

The interesting thing was that at the end of the show, everyone was sitting still and didn't know whether it was the end of not. It was actually quite funny! I found it to be an immersive festival experience, something I hadn't quite experienced before. It seemed that my ears were playing tricks upon me, and it was actually quite confusing. And it became intense as it was very loud (although we were given earplugs before we entered the theatre). I really can't say that I enjoyed it very much, yet it was certainly an interesting and unique experience which stretched me a bit. Once again, the various art forms available amaze me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmph. who gave you the right to go to all these artsy events without me? *grumbles*

miss you!

candizz

Kitty Cheng said...

miss you too candizz....it would have been more fun if you could join me to these events dear.