Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Participating With God In Mission

I am one of many who always grapple with issues related to mission. I often reflect on how finding key words greatly assists in articulating the subtle, and not so subtle, issues involved in understanding how God might have us engage with the world for His purpose.

Two key words I learned from my lecturer at Bible College are futurum and adventus. Futurum defines how God works out His purposes in and through the everyday events of life. It is mission that occurs through the ordinary and the routine acts people - both local church members and organisational structures. Adventus, however, involves those specific times when God intervenes directly and dramatically (Exodus 3, Isaiah 6 and Acts 2). It is mission that occurs through the extraordinary and unforseen interventions of God.

In our mission activities we must learn to faithfully serve God in the ordinary and routine activities that He has called us to do. But let us also be those who long for, and anticipate, the unexpected in-breaking activity of God. Mission must include both these aspects - God's extraordinary work and the everyday instrumentality of people and their organisations.

So which out of the two do you think is more important in your spiritual life?

10 comments:

mark pierson said...

That is so true. We must serve God in the daily routine while also looking for Him to break in with a special witness assignment. Very good observations.

May the Lord bless You,

Mark Pierson

Corry said...

All is connected and both are needed. Perhaps that's why I don't have a preference:-)

God's Grace.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

I feel in my life being faithful daily and seeing Him be instrumental is probably the most important, but I always love it when I see Him work dramatically, but that is not always a daily thing!

Susan Barnes said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I find it helpful to think of mission in these two ways.

Kitty Cheng said...

Yes I agree with you Corry. Both are imporatant, but ultimately God is sovereign and He is in control of everything. All we need to do is be obedient and surrender our lives to him no matter what!

Kitty Cheng said...

Mark, thanks for visiting my blog and your encouraging comment.

God bless You!

Kitty Cheng said...

Hey LLL, yes daily and occasionally are both important isn't it?

Kitty Cheng said...

thanks Susan for your kind comment.

Mark D said...

Hi Kitty!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I like yours already (still have more to read through) and will come back often. This particular post is very, very good. To get too much on either side would be a mistake. I heard someone say that too often people are looking for the spectacular and miss the supernatural. God is at work in us daily as we go about our routines. He also loves to intervene as we seek more of Him. Have a blessed day!
Mark D.

Kitty Cheng said...

Thank you Mark. I like your blog too.