Friday, December 02, 2005

Thoughts In Anticipation Of Christmas

Tonight I did some soul searching in anticipation of Christmas. I reflected on last year around the same time. I was depressed! And I was sad. I missed my dad who had gone on. And I thought about good friends and relationships that were no more. There was also disappointment in myself and in the choices that I had made.

This year things are different. There is a happiness in my heart towards the celebration of my Lord's birth. I plan to thank those people in my life who have given me the gifts of their time, and of their friendship, and of their love this past year, which are some of the greatest gifts of all.

The sights and sounds of the festive season are starting to emerge day by day. I believe the buying of gifts, decorating for the season, visiting family and friends, and helping those in need can be events through which people are open to encounter Christ anew. I think these expressions of anticipation and preparation for Christmas are important.

The use of Christmas lights can be a great sign of anticipation of the Light of Christ that was manifest in the world that 'first Christmas'. We as disciples of Jesus have a great gift to give a society of consumers: a personal encounter with Jesus Christ, and sharing the love of God. We also have a chance to let Christ to become more present in our own hearts, homes and community in this blessed season. After all, Jesus is the reason for the season. And He is the meaning of Christmas.

So what are your thoughts in anticipation of Christmas?

No comments: