Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Forgiving Heart

Today at CCBC the topic of the sermon was about a forgiving heart, based on the Acts 9 where Barnabas' attitude towards Saul (Paul). Recently I went for a talk which was about how to cultivate a forgiving heart. The speaker said that caring for the garden of our soul requires vigilance. Weeds of unforgiveness can quickly spring up and choke out the beautiful qualities God wants to grow in you. Whether the injuries done to you by others are small or great, your spiritual and emotional well-being depends on cultivating a forgiving heart. I think that is so true. I've experienced being hurt so severely in my life (and of course I've hurt others too). But forgiveness really helped me to be healed, and I believe that forgiveness a not just a feeling, it is a choice. And I am sure that cultivating a forgiving heart will help us uproot bitterness so that joy and peace can flourish in our heart again.

So what are your experiences of forgiveness? Do you have a forgiving heart?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good posting.

Matthew Celestine said...

I used to think I was a very forgiivng person, but over the last year I have found it very difficult to get rid of feelings of anger towards my ex-fiance.

Why do I still feel so angry with her?

Thanks for posting this.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Kitty Cheng said...

Matthew, surely it is not easy to forget our feelings towards those who hurt us. I took me a long time to forgive those that had hurt me, but I was told that forgiving a person does not mean you are immediately healed, just surrendering the right to restitution. Will pray for you Matthew.

Matthew Celestine said...

Thanks, Kitty.

Kc said...

This is absolutely critical to every single relationship we will ever have. Everything hinges on forgiveness. Great post Kitty!

Kitty Cheng said...

yes that's so true Kc.