Sunday, August 20, 2006

What Sets The Cross Apart?

I have been discussing with my friend David about the following question these last two days:
"Is there any significance of the cross (as opposed to a stake) other than being historically and biblically accurate, and more torturous?"

Please understand that the question is not asking about which one is historically/biblically accurate, but what sets the cross apart. David has found information on the web which have all been debates over cross versus stake, not what sets a cross apart. One of an intersting sites David suggested is called Jerusalem Burial Cave Reveals:Names, Testimonies of First Christians, although it was merely referring to crosses as being an early-christian symbol.

6 comments:

Gordon said...

Hi Kitty, I am not sure that there is any significance to it being a cross rather than a stake other than biblical/historical accuracy.

I know that legends have endowed crucifixes, etc., with supernatural power, but there is nothing in the Bible which supports this.

The O.T. prophecies simply referred to the Messiah dying on a "tree". As it turned out, the Roman version of that tree was the cross.

God bless.

Beverly said...

I just saw your comment on Gordon's blog. You mention Worldteam. I was with West Indies Mission, which later became WorldTeam...I taught missionary kid's in Haiti for a term before being married.

The blogging world really brings people together, doesn't it.

Kc said...

Sis I agree with Gordon. I knew of nothing so I did some research and found nothing scriptural. I think the only thing that makes it so special is what God accomplished on it.

Kitty Cheng said...

Gordon, yes it's interesting how a "tree" in the O.T. was actually the cross isn't it?

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Beverly, yes praise God for the blogosphere. Very nice to meet you sis.

Kitty Cheng said...

Kc, I agree with you brother.