Sunday, June 03, 2007

Miss Saigon

I went and saw Miss Saigon on Saturday. It was simply excellent. The music, singing, acting, stage settings, props, costumes were all first-class. I like this musical production even better than Beauty & the Beast and Phantom of the Opera.

The production is set in the background of the Vietnam war during the final days of the American occupation of Saigon, Vietnam. MISS SAIGON is a romantic love story between a young Vietnamese woman who is working in a Saigon nightclub, and American GI. The American Army fled Saigon a few years later, so the soldier have returned to America and believing MISS SAIGON is dead. He was depressed for a whole year, and finally moved on to marry an American woman. When told that MISS SAIGON has borne him a son, and is alive and living in Bangkok, the soldier and his wife go to Bangkok. MISS SAIGON is desperate for her son to have a future in America with his father and is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to achieve this hope. The story ends tragically, but beautifully as well.

I highly recommend anyone to see it.

3 comments:

Ross said...

Musical theatre isn't quite my thing, but I did enjoy Phantom of the Opera when I went to see it years ago, and that production of Godspell you invited me to last year.

Kitty Cheng said...

Oh yes Godspell was fantastic!! If you like both Phantom & Godspell, I am pretty sure you would love Miss Saigon too.

audrey` said...

Bel watched Phantom of the Opera recently.
It was splendid =)