Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Renewing Our Mind

Romans 12:2, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is— His good, pleasing and perfect will.”

Larry DiAngi said in his book "The Magic is in the extra mile" that our mind is like the muscles in our physical body. With proper care & exercise, we can strengthen them. I agree with him. We certainly need to care for and exercise our mind. In fact, our spiritual, mental, emotional and physical habits have either made us stronger or weaker in different areas of life. Our true identity, ability, strength, purpose, fulfillment and much more are on the inside of us than on the outside.

I believe that the way we feel is a byproduct of our thoughts. The thoughts that fill our mind and the way we feel at any given moment do not have to be things that are happening to us. There is a difference between being a person who is taking action in life and being a person who spends more time reacting to people and circumstances. I used to react a lot, now in God's strength, I am gradually learning to respond and take action proactively. It is really not easy given my sanguine personality type, but I know that all things are possible and that God's grace is sufficient for me.

5 comments:

Corry said...

Sis, I have learned that my thoughts are a consequence of my innitial feelings. My thoughts are a "by-product" of the feelings. It's not easy to recognize those first feelings, because it all happens so fast, but given consideration, I get to them and than see how they generated the thoughts.

However, again with due consideration, focussing on what's true, pure and good, those feelings can be resolved. Yeah, we have to be willing to go an extra mile for that. But it sure is worth it! :-)

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

Kitty Cheng said...

Sis, actually feelings and thoughts are sooo interconnected that one can really lead to the other. Thanks for the reminder to focus on what's true, pure and good!

Anonymous said...

one thing i've learned about feelings is that even if i don't feel like it, i have to give God praise. it's something i have to over ride whether or not my feeling is right with it. feelings often trick me. and even that i've learned to submit to God.

audrey` said...

Dearest Kitty

Feelings and thoughts
Heart and head
Emotions and logic...

Oh my...
It could get complicated at times =)

audrey` said...

Dearest Kitty

Thank you so much for the fabulous award.
I'm so touched...
HaHa!
Finally... at last... it's up on my blog =)
I didn't know how to put the pic up earlier =P

Thank you, Kitty.
(((HUGS)))