Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Into The Wild

I watched "Into The Wild" the other night, and found it an inspiring movie. Into The Wild talks about this young man who leaves his middle class existence in pursuit of freedom. He gives up his home, family, all possessions but the few he carried on his back and donating all his savings to charity. Then he embarks on a journey throughout America. His eventual aim is to travel into Alaska, into the wild, to spend time with nature, with 'real' existence, away from the trappings of the modern world.

In the 20 months leading up to his Great Alaskan Adventure his travels lead him on a path of self-discovery, to examine and appreciate the world around him and to reflect on and heal from his troubled childhood and parents' abusive relationship. When he reaches Alaska he finds he has been insufficiently prepared for the hardships to come. Despite making it through the winter his plan is ill-judged and prepares to return home in spring, only to find the stream he crossed in the snow has become an impassable raging torrent and that he is trapped. With no means of sustaining himself adequately he eventually dies in isolation.

I think this is a good and meaningful film that tells the truth, and I highly recommend watching it. I totally agree with this young man's tragic realisation before he died: "Happiness is only real when shared".

Let us all share our happiness!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Kitty Cheng said...

Thanks Simon! Happy New Year to you too my dearest brother :) Please send my greetings to Angela.
Mum and I are going out for a Chinese feast tonight. It's so nice to have her around during CNY.

Anonymous said...

I thank God because I knew long time ago that happiness is only happiness when shared.

god bless.

audrey` said...

Happiness is doubled when shared =)

Kitty Cheng said...

God Bless you Safariskenya

Kitty Cheng said...

I agree with you totally Audrey. That's why I like to share in Facebook, Blogger and Success University etc :)

Ross said...

I'll have to watch this movie again when it comes out on DVD, but this time sitting upright and with my eyes open.